Medical Malpractice for Establishments
As an establishment, it’s important that you have the right cover in place. Medical malpractice insurance can be one of the largest annual practice-related expense that you might face, costing thousands of pounds each year.
Here at G&M International, we can give you financial protection in the event of a claim. Here are some examples of medical negligence that might lead to a lawsuit:
- Failure to diagnose or misdiagnosis
- Surgical errors or wrong site surgery
- Failure to order proper testing
- Disregarding or not taking appropriate patient history
- Misreading or ignoring laboratory results
- Poor follow-up or aftercare
- Improper medication or dosage
- Premature discharge
- Unnecessary surgery
- Failure to recognise symptoms
To be considered as medical malpractice (territories may vary), the claim must have the following characteristics:
- A violation of the standard of care
- The injury resulted in significant damages
- An injury was caused by the negligence
There are two basic types of malpractice policies, claims-occurrence or claims-made.
The majority of insurers will only write on a claims-made basis, where only the policy in effect at the time a claim is reported responds to the loss, regardless of when the negligence occurred. This period can occasionally be extended backwards with a “retroactive date” and coverage can also be extended forwards with an “extended reporting period”, however, this may affect an increase in premiums.
The other type of insurance is claims-occurrence, which will cover for any negligence that occurs within the policy period regardless of when a claim is brought against insurers.
For further information about our medical malpractice insurance give us a call on +44 (0) 207 977 1490 or take a look at our Medical Malpractice Insurance for Establishments Brochure.